Latitude / Longitude:
27°50′33″N 82°17′8″W / 27.84250°N 82.28556°W / 27.84250
82 ft (25 m)
Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Boyette is an unincorporated community and former census-designated place in Hillsborough County, Florida, United States.
Boyette was established in 1907 by Sarah (Dormany) Boyette and named for her deceased husband Samuel Thomas Boyette. This farming community once was a thriving little town that boasted a general store with a gas pump, a sawmill, a railroad depot with loading ramps for crops to be loaded, a church & cemetery, dance hall, turpentine still, and a railroad section foreman with a crew to keep the tracks fixed. Mr. Wilson, was an early stationmaster and telegraph operator. A.T. Bennett, was the section foreman for the area of track and he and his crew of workers kept the railroad track in good working order. The area where they lived was called the “section houses”. This was a rough area and there were shootings and stabbings nearly every weekend. Occasionally moonshine stills would be brought out of the swamp and were busted by the authorities.
The population was 5,895 at the 2000 census. The CDP area merged with Riverview in 2010.
Founding families included the Simmons, Hobsons, Sumners, Wilsons, and of course Boyettes. The town died when the railroad was removed and all the residents either died or moved away. The Boyette family; however, remained maintaining a relatively lucrative farming business. Their descendants still maintain a small portion of the former estate today. There are only two historical remains of Boyette. One is the old cemetery, which is still there but has not been found in years; it exists somewhere in a nearby pasture. There is no other structure that dates back to the time.