Latitude / Longitude:
25°48′46″N 81°21′39″W / 25.81278°N 81.36083°W / 25.81278
10 ft (3 m)
Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Chokoloskee is an unincorporated community and census-designated place (CDP) in Collier County, Florida, United States. The population was 359 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Naples–Marco Island Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Chokoloskee was briefly occupied by the United States Army during the Third Seminole War. In November 1856, 110 men of the Florida Mounted Volunteers reached Chokoloskee Island. From there, an expedition of 75 men went up the Turner River, where they burned a Seminole settlement and a couple of planted fields. After a skirmish with the Seminoles in which a Captain John Parkhill was killed, the expedition returned to Chokoloskee Island to find that their base had been moved to Cape Romano, because of a lack of fresh water on the island.
The modern settlement of Chokoloskee Island started in 1874. The second family on the island was that of Adolphus Santini, who was soon joined by his brother and his parents. By around 1880 the Santini family held claim to most of the island. In 1882 there were five families living on the island, including those of the two Santini brothers. These early residents farmed, fished and caught turtles, selling any surpluses in Key West. Other residents came and went fairly frequently. Due to the efforts of Charles Greenleigh (C. G.) McKinney, a post office was established in Chokoloskee in 1891, although it was known as “Comfort” for the first few months.