Latitude / Longitude:
Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Fort Dallas was a military base during the Seminole Wars, located on the banks of the Miami River in what is now downtown, Miami, Florida, United States.
Old Fort Dallas was established on the plantation of Richard Fitzpatrick and William English in 1836 as a United States military post and cantonment (and not as a fortification, although it is more than probable that there was a stockade surrounding it in its early days) in southern Florida during the Seminole Wars. In 1836, the U.S. Navy established patrols on Biscayne Bay to prevent trading between the Seminoles and traders from Cuba or the West Indies. Fort Dallas was established to support the Navy’s efforts, but more pointedly, “for the purpose of harassing the enemy.” It was named in honor of Commodore Alexander James Dallas, United States Navy, then in command of the United States naval forces in the West Indies.