Latitude / Longitude:
30°13′15″N 84°10′30″W / 30.22083°N 84.17500°W / 30.22083 -84.17500
Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Magnolia, Florida was a thriving river port town in southern Wakulla County, Florida, established in the 1820s and is classified as an “extinct city” by the State Library and Archives of Florida. All that remains of the city is the run down cemetery – the last known burial was in 1859. The cemetery is on land now owned by the St. Joe Paper Company. The town was located near the small city of St. Marks, Florida.
In June 1827, only 6 years after Spain ceded Florida to the United States, four brothers from Maine- John, George, Nathanial and Weld Hamlin- founded the town of Magnolia on the St. Marks river just north of the existing town of St. Marks. The Ladd family also married into the Hamlin family and helped settle the new town of Magnolia. Their primary purpose was to establish a profitable shipping port for the export of cotton that would be delivered to the port from points north, primarily from the rail terminus in Tallahassee about 20 miles north. The Hamlins had relatives in Maine who owned and operated a large textile mill.
There was another town named Magnolia that existed around the time of the American Civil War in Clay County, Florida on the west bank of the St. Johns River. Period maps place this town just north of present-day Green Cove Springs. (Some maps (Atlas To Accompany The Official records of the Union and confederate Armies) name the location as “Magnolia Hotel & Steam Mill,” but it appears in dispatches as Magnolia.)