Latitude / Longitude:
30°50’57 N 83°20’15 W
Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Troupville (occasionally recorded as Troupeville) is an unincorporated community in Lowndes County, Georgia, United States, near Valdosta.
Troupville was a riverboat landing at the confluence of the Withlacoochee River and the Little River (Withlacoochee River) at the uppermost navigable point. It was the third county seat of Lowndes County. Troupville was named after Governor George Troup. Railroads were superseding riverboats across the state. After a railroad station was established at Valdosta in 1859, many Troupville residents picked up their houses and moved to the railroad. They founded Valdosta, which the following year was designated by the legislature as the county seat.
In early 1871, a toll bridge crossing the Little River from Troupville to Brooks County was completed. By 1874 Troupville was described by a Valdostan, as being “a deserted village or rather an old field with scarcely a vestige of the village remaining.”
In 1833, Lowndesville, Georgia replaced Franklinville, located east of modern Hahira, as the county seat. In 1834, a group of citizens were appointed to select a new county seat to keep pace with settlement. In July 1836, a group of commissioners were advertising for merchants and mechanics to settle at Troupville. They believed that the Little River and Withlacoochee River could be made navigable to this point at a small expense. After the county seat was moved away from Franklinville and Lowndesville in turn, they declined. In October 1836, advertisements were put in newspapers for proposals to build a courthouse at Troupville. The city was incorporated on 14 December 1837 by an act of the Georgia legislature and designated as the county seat (the third).