Latitude / Longitude:
38°49′33″N 85°20′18″W / 38.82583°N 85.33833°W / 38.82583 -85.33833
571 ft (174 m)
Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Barbersville, Indiana, was an unincorporated town in Shelby Township, Jefferson County, Indiana. Nothing remains of its few buildings.
Barbersville was probably preceded by the town of Edinburgh, which was platted on Nov. 3, 1815 and recorded in the Jefferson County deed records. No legal land definitions were included, but a rough map showed the land of the proprietors, Wilson Buchanan, George Benefiel, and James Whitton, who was neighboring landowners, all of whom had land in the Barbersville area. They laid out sixty-four lots laid out around a public square, which was filed in Jefferson County Deed Book A page 174.
In the twentieth century, the area was severely depopulated and there are no residences or other buildings along the Barbersville Road for about two miles, including the area in which the town was once located.
The Barbersville Post Office operated from Dec. 7, 1826 to Nov. 19, 1838 and then was transferred to nearby Buchanan’s Station in Ripley County. Mail service was then provided by the Canaan Post Office in Shelby Township. The government re-established the Barberville’s office on June 27, 1848 and it operated until May 31, 1906, when service was transferred to Canaan.