Latitude / Longitude:
37°58′20″N 97°12′4″W / 37.97222°N 97.20111°W / 37.97222
1,391 ft (424 m)
Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Annelly is a ghost town in Richland Township 9 miles southeast of Newton in Harvey County, Kansas, United States. The community was located along the Missouri Pacific Railroad line between Newton and Whitewater, but the track was abandoned in 2003.
For many millennia, the Great Plains of North America was inhabited by nomadic Native Americans. From the 16th century to 18th century, the Kingdom of France claimed ownership of large parts of North America. In 1762, after the French and Indian War, France secretly ceded New France to Spain, per the Treaty of Fontainebleau.
In 2003, the railroad track was abandoned. Today only an abandoned 1 room school house and the Main Street (Annelly Road or SE 57th Street, accessible from S East Lake Rd. and SE 60th Street) of Annelly still exist, though the schoolhouse cannot be observed or approached from public roads. A farm house on the west end of Main Street is still occupied. Gypsum Creek, a tributary of the Whitewater River, runs through “downtown” Annelly.
In 1802, Spain returned most of the land to France. In 1803, most of the land for modern day Kansas was acquired by the United States from France as part of the 828,000 square mile Louisiana Purchase for 2.83 cents per acre. In 1854, the Kansas Territory was organized, then in 1861 Kansas became the 34th U.S. state. In 1872, Harvey County was established within the Kansas Territory, which included the land for modern day Annelly.