Latitude / Longitude:
804 ft (245 m)
Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Le Hunt (sometimes rendered as LeHunt) is a ghost town in Montgomery County, Kansas, United States. While most of the site has been reclaimed by nature, the ruins of the United Kansas Portland Cement Company plant can still be seen today in the woods along the eastern shore of Elk City Lake.
Le Hunt can trace its origins back to 1905, when the United Kansas Portland Cement Company purchased 1500 miles a few miles northwest of Independence, Kansas and built a large factory. To accommodate the factory’s many workers, a company town was established by United Kansas Portland Cement Company. The town was named after Leigh Hunt, the president of the Hunt engineering company of Michigan that had worked to construct the plant. By 1906, the fledgling town was home to over 1000 individuals, and around this time, Tom Mix (who would go on to be a famous American film actor and the star of many early Western movies) served as the small town’s marshal.
The ruins of the Le Hunt cement factory are rumored to be haunted by the ghost of a man named Boars. The story goes that this man was working on a 15-foot wall, when he was trapped and then covered in cement, wherein he died. His fellow workers decided to honor him by embedding his pickax and wheelbarrow into the side of a wall-cum-memorial (etched with his name) that still stands a short distance away from the smoke stack. Boar’s shovel and wheelbarrow can still be seen sticking out from the wall, although the wooden handle of the shovel has been destroyed by the elements. The name “Boars” is also visibilly etched into he concrete edifice. Many claim that because of this incident, Boars’ ghost lingers in the . However, while the story is popular in the , author Cheryl Carvajal notes that the abandoned cement plant is “more haunting than haunted.”
Others believe that the settlement’s cemetery, located only a short distance away from the plant, is haunted. One popular tale, as recounted by Carvajal, contends that around 1906, a young Greek immigrant named Maria befriended Shep, the dog of then-marshal Tom Mix. The two were tragically killed in a wagon incident and, because Maria was of immigrant origin, she was buried unceremoniously outside the southern fence of the cemetery. It is said that the ghost of both Maria and Shep can sometimes be seen strolling in and near their final resting place.