Latitude / Longitude:
1,937 ft (590 m)
Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Webster was an unincorporated community in Belmont Township, Rooks County, Kansas, United States.
The community of Webster was established in the Solomon Valley along the South Fork Solomon River in the late 1870s. Webster was created from two settlements; Webster settled on the north side of the river and Belmont that originated on the south side of the river. Belmont was founded as a trading post in 1876. Due to flooding, the Belmont settlement was moved across the river adjoining the Webster settlement. Belmont was first to file an application for a post office. The Belmont application was denied as another Kansas town had previously been granted the name. Instead, Webster was granted a post office in 1879.
Construction of Webster Dam on the South Fork Solomon River was approved in 1953. Webster Reservoir would encompass the occupied by the town of Webster. As a result, the town was relocated 2 miles to the southeast. Many businesses and residents chose not to relocate to the new town site.
Webster, named for Daniel Webster, was surveyed, platted and filed in 1885. The town was never incorporated. In 1888, Webster had two doctors, two churches, a school and 24 businesses. A large city park called The Grove featured towering cottonwood trees.