Latitude / Longitude:
2,051 ft (625 m)
Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Yocemento is an unincorporated community in Big Creek Township, Ellis County, Kansas, United States.
The U.S. Portland Cement Company constructed a cement mill at the site of Yocemento in 1906. In 1907, the company platted a town for the mill’s workers, naming it Yocemento, a portmanteau of Yost, the company president’s last name, and cement. A post office opened that same year. By mid-1908, the mill was operational, and the town included a general store, hotel, and restaurant. Many local residents employed at the mill were ethnic Hungarians who had constructed a Catholic church at the site in 1906.
In 1917, the cement company went bankrupt and sold the mill to a Denver-based competitor. The post office closed as well. The mill was dismantled, and residents began to leave the community. In 1931, the church building was moved to Buckeye, Kansas for use as a community hall. Today, what remains of the mill has been remodeled into family homes.