Latitude / Longitude:
39° 35′ 52 N, 76° 7′ 44 W
Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Lapidum is a ghost town in Harford County, Maryland, USA, located at the head of navigation of the Susquehanna River on the west bank across from Port Deposit.
Lapidum traces its history to the granting of early land patents for the tracts known as “Eightrapp” (1665), “Faton” (1679) and “Land of Promise” (1684). As settlers transformed the surrounding land from forest to farmland the area grew in importance as a commercial center. Fields of corn and tobacco were grown on land near the river, and an important fishing industry also developed, based on the runs of shad and herring.
Last active building torn down 1960s
By 1900, the sources of Lapidum’s commerce and prosperity were lost to railroad competition. Ice accumulations (referred to locally as “ice gorges”) eventually destroyed the warehouses and wharves. The hotel continued as a fishing lodge and men’s club until the 1960s, when it was torn down. The land is currently part of Susquehanna State Park in Maryland.
A three-story Victorian building, the Susquehanna Hotel, was built here by Conrad Baker in 1868. It was constructed of stone, brick and framed with lumber, and included several large porches. Other buildings included a church, a mill, a Masonic hall, a school, and numerous houses, stores and warehouses as well as wharves to serve the trade from goods being brought down the Susquehanna River or by road from the adjacent countryside to be loaded onto ships.