Latitude / Longitude:
41° 46′ 27″ N, 86° 15′ 45″ W
Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Bertrand is an unincorporated community in the southern part of the Niles Charter Township at 41°46’27″N 86°15’45″W on the St. Joseph River approximately 4 miles (6 km) south of Niles.
Joseph Bertrand, a French Canadian, had a trading post here by 1812. He had married the daughter of a Potawatomi chief and through her had acquired land. After the Potowatomi ceded their lands to the federal government with the 1833 Treaty of Chicago, Daniel G. Garnsey obtained the permission of U.S. President Andrew Jackson and the consent of Mrs. Bertrand to locate a village on her land. Alonzo Bennett platted the village of Bertrand in 1833 and became its first postmaster on June 9, 1834.
The town was a stop on the Detroit-Chicago road. In 1844, the Sisters of the Holy Cross founded their first convent in the United States here. The town gradually declined after it was by-passed by railroads. The post office closed on April 15, 1901.
Bertrand Township lies to the west and south, Buchanan Township to the west, and Berrien Township to the north. Neighboring townships in Cass are Pokagon Township to the northeast, Howard Township to the east, and Milton Township to the southeast. To the south in St. Joseph, Indiana, is Clay Township, and German Township is to the southwest.