Latitude / Longitude:
38°09′32″N 118°05′21″W / 38.15889°N 118.08917°W / 38.15889
Pacific (PST) (UTC-8)
Candelaria is a ghost town in Mineral County, Nevada, approximately 121 miles southeast of Fallon. Today the site of Candelaria is dominated by the Kinross Gold Candelaria Mine on Mt. Diablo.
The area where Candelaria developed first attracted notice in 1864 when Mexican prospectors working the area near Mt. Diablo discovered silver deposits on the northern slopes of the mountain. However, word of the find was slow to spread, and Candelaria wasn’t truly a town, or even a camp, until a group of European prospectors, mainly German and Slovakian, came into the area in 1879 and established a camp, which soon became a boomtown. The earlier Mexican presence in the area had named the location Candelaria, and this name stuck.
Because of its remote location, much of Candelaria remained somewhat undisturbed for many years. Although not completely immune to vandalism, much of the damage to remaining buildings was a result of the harsh environment: bitter cold and snow in winter, and the dry, very hot, and often windy weather in the summer. In the mid- to late-1980s an open-pit mine on the south side of Mt. Diablo was started. As the mine expanded, the town site of Candelaria came under close guardianship of the mine’s operators. Visitors to Candelaria were turned away by security guards from the mine, and signs were posted along the road through the town stating that it was private property, and that trespassing was prohibited. Because of this oversight, Candelaria was spared much of the destruction suffered by other ghost towns, and even today the remains of many of its buildings are easily seen and recognizable.
The location of Candelaria is approximately 121 miles from Fallon on US 95S; from there turn W on dirt road for 6 miles to the location of the town site. Candelaria was at 38°09’32″N 118°05’21″W, at an elevation of 5714 feet (1742m).