Latitude / Longitude:
39° 30′ 16.99″ N, 115° 59′ 7.01″ W
Pacific (PST) (UTC-8)
Ruby Hill is now a ghost town in Eureka County, in the central part of the U.S. state of Nevada, approximately 2.6 mi (4.2 km) west of the town of Eureka, Nevada. In 1910, the town was destroyed by a powerful storm that washed away the railroad and other buildings and left the town uninhabitable.
In 1865, an Indian showed a piece of “mineral-bearing” rock to Owen Farell, M. G. Cough, and Alonzo Monroe. The men looked at the rock and immediately recognized that there might be more rocks just like that one. For ten dollars, they talked the Indian into showing them where he had found the rock. Upon payment, the Indian directed them to a spot about two and a half miles west of the township of Eureka, Nevada. On this site, the northwestern side of Prospect Mountain, the Buckeye and Champion mines were established. In the early 1870s, a mining town followed. The town took its name from the ruby silver that had been discovered there and became known as Ruby Hill. A post office was built and services commenced on September 23, 1873, until its closure on November 30, 1901. The town was serviced by the railroad and the route of the train was named after Ruby Hill. The train would take the ores produced at the mine to the smelters in Eureka.
It wasn’t until the early 1880s that some mines were reopened. But that didn’t last long and by 1885 there were only two residents left in Ruby Hill. There was much on again off again activity during the years until 1928 brought an end to all mining activity at Ruby Hill. Because the camp was active for only a few years at a time, few permanent buildings were ever constructed. Most of the mines are high in the mountains, and access is extremely difficult. Though the ruins are not extensive, Ruby Hill is worth the trip, primarily because of its setting in the history rich Fish Creek Range of Eureka County.