Feltville Historic District
Latitude / Longitude:
40°40′53″N 74°23′13″W / 40.68139°N 74.38694°W / 40.68139
Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
The Feltville Historic District, located in the Watchung Reservation in Berkeley Heights, Union County, New Jersey, United States, is a historic area which contains several buildings dating to the 18th century. It is known locally as “Deserted Village.”
By 1850, about 175 people lived in Feltville, often four families in each of the larger houses and two in each of the smaller. Also in that year, a nondenominational “Union Church” with a resident pastor was active. After fifteen years, “King David” Felt sold the property, and after several successor businesses failed, the place became known as “the deserted village”.
The district includes eight houses, a church, a carriage house, and a general house. Over the years the “deserted village of Feltville” was a mill town, a farming community, and a summer resort. Only three families remain as permanent residents, while the remainder of the site is open to visitors who wish to learn of its history or to simply enjoy the forested surroundings. In 1980 it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The first settler of this area was Peter Willcox, an Englishman who moved here from Long Island about 1736. The area then was a frontier. He built a sawmill, but it was demolished as more people came to the area.