Latitude / Longitude:
47° 7′ 38 N, 100° 9′ 44 W
Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Arena is an extinct town in Burleigh County, North Dakota. The GNIS classifies it as a populated place.
Arena was founded in January 1906 and never had a population of more than 150. It withered during the Great Depression and now little stands there but the remains of St. John’s Lutheran Church, and an old wooden schoolhouse.
A post office called Arena was established in 1906, and remained in operation until 1996.
Arena was named to note its location in a shallow valley surrounded by hills – a natural arena. Postcards from approximately 1924 show several businesses such as a hardware store, farmer’s store, general merchandising, and a pool hall. It is also noted that at one time there were five cream buying stations and a large grain elevator located there.