Latitude / Longitude:
40°36′34″N 82°24′19″W / 40.60944°N 82.40528°W / 40.60944
906 ft (276 m)
Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Winchester was laid out in 1815 by Joseph Darlinton. It was named for Darlinton’s former hometown of Winchester, Virginia.
State Route 136 passes through Winchester. Winchester is adjacent to Ohio State Route 32, a four lane divided highway known as the Appalachian Highway. The Appalachian Highway links Winchester to Cincinnati. A traffic signal is located at the intersection of Routes 32 and 136.
Winchester is a village in Adams County, Ohio, United States. The population was 1,051 at the 2010 census. The name of the surrounding township is also named Winchester.
There is also an Ohio Historic Site in Winchester, the Dr. A. C. Lewis House. The Dr. A. C. Lewis home was built between 1845 and 1848. Dr. Lewis is considered the first resident physician of Winchester. He was a known abolitionist and used the house as a station on the underground railroad.