Latitude / Longitude:
45° 39′ 21.43″ N, 121° 17′ 17.26″ W
Pacific (PST) (UTC-8)
Ortley is a former town in Wasco County, Oregon, in the United States. It was about 1 mile (2 km) south of Rowena and about 7 miles (11 km) southeast of Mosier; the site is now on private land and no evidence of the townsite exists today. It is still classed as a populated place by the USGS.
Ortley was originally developed by the Hood River Orchard & Land Company which filed a plat for the townsite in 1911, naming it for the ‘Ortley’, a variety of apple. The company sold town lots and small orchard parcels, and Ortley quickly grew to a population of 300. The community included a post office, several shops and a hotel. However, the land proved unsuitable for apple production because of the prevailing high winds and scarcity of water.
By 1922, the town was all but abandoned, and in that year the post office closed.