Latitude / Longitude:
44°19′35″N 103°46′07″W / 44.3263733°N 103.7685318°W / 44.3263733
5,436 ft (1,657 m)
Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Flatiron, formerly known as Yellow Creek or Flat Iron City, is a ghost town in Lawrence County, South Dakota, United States. It was known for its highly successful gold mining.
As people began to move into the Black Hills, several cabins sprang up around Yellow Creek in the Black Hills. In 1894, the town began to be staked out but was not yet fully founded; when the area boomed around May 1896, a series of large buildings and small cabins, including a two-story boarding house, were built. Flatiron was first advertised on a billboard as Flat Iron City. Freshwater springs were located nearby, and a well was dug. Eventually, it became known as Yellow Creek, and then again as Flatiron.
The town prospered because of the mine. Shortly after its founding, it had one dozen homes. By 1915, it had about 30 buildings, including a school, several large mills, many stores, and a post office. The tailings covered one side of a nearby large valley. In 1927, a powerful flood resulting from heavy rain caused this accumulated tailings to slump. The railroad, train, and engine were buried under several feet of sand, killing the engineer in the process. The tracks were not uncovered until around 1974, when Lead and Deadwood, two neighboring towns, began to use the tailings to sand icy roads during winter. The mines eventually shut down and the town was completely abandoned. More than 80% of the town has sunk into the caving tunnels below, and the rest are only foundations.
Flatiron is located in the Black Hills of east-central Lawrence County, South Dakota, United States. It is located about 2 miles south of Lead, South Dakota. The town itself is built on the side of a hill and near a large valley. To the north is the abandoned Little Blue Mine.