Latitude / Longitude:
36°15’55 N 83°57’00 W
Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Established in the early 19th century around a foundry built by its namesake, John Loy, over subsequent decades the community’s location along State Highway 61 helped it grow into a trading center for local farmers. By the time the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) began making plans to build Norris Dam in the early 1930s, Loyston had a population of approximately 70 residents, and consisted of a post office and several small businesses.
Loyston is a ghost town in Union County, Tennessee, United States, that was inundated by the waters of the Clinch River after the completion of Norris Dam in 1936.
Loyston is now under a mile-wide section of Norris Lake known as the “Loyston Sea,” located along the shores of Big Ridge State Park.
The valley in which Loyston was once located is now submerged under the widest part of Norris Lake, the mile-wide “Loyston Sea.” While building the Norris reservoir, TVA engineers determined that a saddle dam would be necessary to prevent water from the Mill Creek embayment from escaping into the Buffalo Creek Valley (which empties into the Clinch downstream from Norris Dam). This saddle dam, known as the “Loyston Dike,” is located along Highway 61 just west of Big Ridge State Park. A recreation area along the Mill Creek embayment has also been named for Loyston. In 2008, the Museum of Appalachia accepted a donation of a children’s playhouse that originally stood in Loyston and was said to be the last intact building from the community.