Latitude / Longitude:
29° 33′ 28.8″ N, 98° 29′ 27.6″ W
Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Coker was a community located in north central Bexar County, Texas (USA) now within the city limits of San Antonio, near Hill Country Village, along the present Loop 1604 between the San Antonio, Texas, streets of Nakoma Street, West Avenue, Bitters Road and US 281.
In the 1880s a Methodist circuit rider named Arthur Everett Rector visited the community about once a month; services lasted all day while horses, wagons, and oxen were tethered nearby. Mr. Rector once performed a wedding at the church and was paid $5 and a pig. The first wooden built church was constructed there in 1885. The people of the community made their living by farming. The present day rock church was constructed by the community members in 1937.
The Coker Community was founded in 1841 by John Coker (1789–1851) on 1,920 acres (7.8 km2) of land he had been awarded for his service in the Texas revolutionary war. James Harrison Coker (1827–1892), son of Joseph Coker, John Coker’s brother, was the first teacher at the Coker School, and his daughter Sarah Jane Coker (1860–1930) was the midwife there. Sarah Jane was married to Zachary Taylor Autry who was a Texas Ranger and early settler of Northern Bexar County, Texas. A family member can be found under the name of Andie Coker, currently residing in Round Rock, Texas.