Latitude / Longitude:
2,077 ft (633 m)
Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Noxville is a ghost town on the James River, 21 miles (34 km) east of Junction on Ranch to Market Road 479, in Kimble County, in the U.S. state of Texas.
Noxville has actually had two locations in the area. Old Noxville was the site of the 1879 post office, begun by Noah Nox (also Knox), in his general store on the Little Devil’s River. His wife Persis was the first postmaster. When James Milam became the postmaster in 1911, he moved the post office and town to the west side of the James River.
Among the first non-indigenous residents of the area in addition to Nox were farmers and ranchers Creed Taylor, Munroe McDonald and James H. Parker. Parker was originally from Alabama and settled in the area at the end of the Civil War. He had been a 2LT in the 30th Texas Cavalry and eventually owned 12,000 acres in the area. He donated the land for the old school house. Taylor retired to Noxville after the death of his first wife, and after a career of military service to Texas. In Kimble County, he remarried and remained in Noxville the rest of his life.