Latitude / Longitude:
292 ft (89 m)
Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Tucker is an unincorporated community in Anderson County, located within the U.S. state of Texas.
The community’s first church, named Green Bay African Methodist Episcopal Church, came together by a group of African Americans who worked in the cotton plantation in nearby Long Lake. It had two separate neighborhoods: Prairie Point, where the community’s White residents lived, and Green Bay, where the community’s Black inhabitants resided. The International and Great Northern Railroad had a track built through the settlement in 1872, and a post office by the name of Prairie Point was established in 1873. Both it and the community changed their name to Tucker, in which a family with the same last name owned land and operated a general store in the community in 1882.
According to the Handbook of Texas, the community had a population of 304 in 2000. It is located within the Palestine, Texas micropolitan area.
Tucker sits approximately 2 mi (3.2 km) away from the Trinity River, as well as along the intersection of U.S. Highway 84 and U.S. Highway 79 on the Missouri Pacific Railroad, 8 mi (13 km) southwest of Palestine in the southwestern portion of Anderson County.