Latitude / Longitude:
44°01’22 N 88°48’8 W
751 ft (229 m)
Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Delhi, Wisconsin is a ghost town in the town of Rushford, Winnebago County, Wisconsin, United States. It is located on County Highway E between Omro and Eureka at the junction of the Fox River and Waukau Creek. Delhi was also known as La Borde’s Landing.
Delhi was founded by Luke La Borde, a French Canadian trader. La Borde patented the site of 145 acres on March 1, 1848. The site was expanded after the sale of initial lots. A land survey was made on July 17, 1849. The lots were uniform in measurement, 66 feet wide by 132 feet deep. The main street of Broadway measured 82 1/2 feet wide. All other streets were 66 feet wide. Water, Union, Washington, Liberty, Grand, Ann, Broad, Harrison, Howard, Pearl, Main, and Menominee streets are listed in a Winnebago County platbook dated 1889.
1980 census records identify Delhi as Island Park. Delhi had an established post office between 1850-1893.
Delhi was slowly abandoned and then deteriorated. It had considered itself to be a strong contender for county seat over Omro and Eureka. Trade shifted to Omro and Eureka when those villages built better bridges than Delhi could afford. The railroad came to Omro causing further diversion of trade. Delhi’s residents moved to the neighboring villages and beyond. Today, only one deteriorated house stands from that era. Luke La Borde and his wife, Louisa, are buried on the property.