Latitude / Longitude:
45°54′37″N 90°39′27″W / 45.91028°N 90.65750°W / 45.91028
1,473 ft (449 m)
Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Kennedy is an unincorporated community located in the town of Lake, Price County, Wisconsin, United States. Once a busy sawmill community during the logging boom, Kennedy is now a ghost town.
The village of Kennedy was platted in 1908, in an area near the Price-Sawyer County border, adjacent to the Omaha Railway tracks. It may have been named after Pat Kennedy, a Fifield pioneer who kept a tavern in the new village.
Edith Bricco, Laura Perry, and Edith Rozell followed Stanley Berg as Postmasters until 1938, when the post office was discontinued. The school was closed in 1939 and the village of Kennedy was all but abandoned. All but four of the buildings in the village were taken down, burned, or decayed until they collapsed. The railroad tracks were removed in 1964.
The land where Kennedy was located was originally owned by Cornell University, who had been given the property through a University Land Grant. Cornell sold the property to the Sage Land Company, which owned much property in nearby Park Falls. The Sage Company later sold the land to Williard Walther of the Dells Lumber and Pulp Company, for $600. The Dells Lumber and Puld Company was involved in paper making and was based in Eau Claire. The company built a headquarters and office west of Kennedy. Spur lines were built from Kennedy to seven logging camps to the north, near the Ashland County border. In 1908, Willard Walther developed the plat for the new community.