From abandoned communities in the heart of the forest, rumored to hold the restless souls of residents long deceased… to desolate ruins located on borders between states, hiding dark secrets. Are you ready for America’s most haunted ghost towns?
“Batsto”, “The Batsto Post Office”, “Untitled” by Paul Comstock (https://www.flickr.com/photos/13577845@N05/) are licensed under CC BY 2.0
“Happy Motoring … Glen Rio, Texas” by Road Travel America (https://www.flickr.com/photos/89508513@N02/) is lciensed under CC BY 2.0
“Glenrio, NM / TX” by jaygannett (https://www.flickr.com/photos/29531805@N07/) are licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0
“Glenrio, Texas” by el-toro (https://www.flickr.com/photos/modofodo/) is licensed under CC BY 2.0
“Glenrio, Texas, USA” by Pom’ (https://www.flickr.com/photos/pom-angers/) is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0
“Shaniko Ghost Town, OR 8-30-13o”, “Shaniko Ghost Town, OR 8-30-13z”, “Shaniko Ghost Town, OR 8-30-13zzv” by Don Graham (https://www.flickr.com/photos/23155134@N06/) are licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0
“Shaniko School” by Jim Fischer (https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimfischer/) is licensed under CC BY 2.0
“Shaniko Oregon” by Richard Bauer (https://www.flickr.com/photos/rustejunk/) is licensed under CC BY 2.0
“Shankiko: Ghost town” by daveynin (https://www.flickr.com/photos/daveynin/) is licensed under CC BY 2.0
“Kirkpatrick Slave Quarters Home in Old Cahaba” by Leigh T Harrell (https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Kirkpatrick_Slave_Quarters_Home_in_Old_Cahaba.jpg) is licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0
“Old Cahawba” by Scott Weingart (https://www.flickr.com/photos/scott_bot/) is licensed under CC BY 2.0
“Crocheron Colunms at the Old Cahawba Park” by RuralSWAlabama (https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Crocheron_Colunms_at_the_Old_Cahawba_Park.jpg) is licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0
“St. Luke’s Church at Cahaba 02”, “St. Luke’s Church at Cahaba 04” by Altairisfar (Jeffrey Reed) (https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Altairisfar) are licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0
“California” by GPA Photo Archive (https://www.flickr.com/photos/iip-photo-archive/) is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0
“calico-cemetery” by velo4it (https://www.flickr.com/photos/velo4it/) is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0
“Calico Ghost Town” by InSapphoWeTrust (https://www.flickr.com/photos/skinnylawyer/) are licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0
“Calico” by Bryan Siders (https://www.flickr.com/photos/btsiders/) are licensed under CC BY 2.0
“Calico Ghost Town” by Tracy (https://www.flickr.com/photos/tracyelizabeths/) is licensed under CC BY 2.0
“1880s Schoolhouse” by Michael Dorausch (https://www.flickr.com/photos/chiropractic/) is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0
From abandoned communities shrouded in dense forests, rumored to act as magnets to the supernatural to deserted border ruins, where it said the spirits of former residents walk the streets just beyond the visible spectrum remnants of an old-world lost, but never truly forgotten lies strewn across the Expanse, that is the united states. Are you ready for five haunted American ghost towns? Number five Batsto village Batsto village in new jersey is a historic site located at Wharton state forest which is actually set within the south-central pine barrens. Yes, the very same barons rumored to play home to the jersey devil.
The land was originally inhabited by Charles Reed, who constructed Batsto ironworks along the Batsto River in 1766. In 1771, john cox would be welcomed on as a partner and by 1773 he would go on to become full owner before selling the business to joseph ball. In 1779, the plant mainly focused on manufacturing household items and supplied the continental army through the revolutionary war. In 1784, William Richards joseph’s uncle purchased a controlling interest in the company and the Richards went on to construct a village for employees through the mid-19th century, demand for iron declined and the company switched its production to glass in an effort to float a metaphorically sinking ship.
This effort was in vain, however, and the business eventually fell into bankruptcy. The village was purchased outright by businessman Joseph Wharton in 1876, along with several additional nearby properties. Wharton was adamant that he could save the town and set to work, restructuring and renovating many of its buildings while launching several projects in agriculture and forestry. The state purchased the village in the late 1950s in an attempt to revive it, but the last residence officially vacated in 1989.
Disturbingly tales of paranormal phenomenon throughout the area date back to the village’s earliest days and hold strong into modern times, Batsto is said to be a hot spot for the jersey, devil sightings, with several local legends actually claiming the creature’s presence was the reason this town and several Others throughout the pine barrens died out in the first place. Those wandering the area have reported strange tracks in the forest, inhuman shrieks, from both the trees and from the town, and the feeling of being constantly watched or followed by something unseen at the mansion.
Many reports, citing lights through the windows at night, hearing, disembodied voices, strange, knocking, sounds and even catching full-bodied, apparitions rounding corners. Lastly, an unknown creature is said to roam Batsto and the surrounding forest, though not much is known about this thing. Several reports detail it jumping from roof to roof or watching visitors from the shadows. Number four Glenn Rio. Glenn Rio now standing as the Glenn Rio historic district is an unincorporated community that straddles the state line between Texas and New Mexico in both def smith and k.
Counties that lies just off of former u.s route 66, originally called rock island. This community was formed and founded in 1903 as a railroad, stop on the rock island railroad, and was later renamed Glenn Rio. In 1908, the town began seeing an influx of motorists on the ozark trail, starting in 1917 and in 1926 the trail was formed into part of us route. 66 Glenn Rio’s location right on the border has led to a less than normal layout and some pretty comedic exchanges.
For instance. At one point, all fuel stations were on the texas side because of new Mexico’s higher gas tax and through the 1930s, the Stateline bar and motel was constructed on the new Mexico side as texas’s dev smith was a dry county through the 40s 50s and 60s Glenn Rio Thrived off tourism pouring in from route 66 and several businesses were opened or expanded upon around the main road. This rush was short-lived, however, and in 1975, when the interstate hit the area traffic began to die out today, all that remains are 17 abandoned buildings along route 66.
Many barely identifiable Glenn Rio is thought to be haunted by the spirits of its former residents and shop owners. Many who poured their entire lives into the town only to watch it crumble. Those visiting Glenn Rio often report light seen through windows when none are on shadowy figures, cited slinking about and encounters with, full-bodied apparitions in old-fashioned clothing. A number of formal and informal paranormal investigations of the town have yielded high emf levels, disturbing evps and both strange mists and orbs captured in photography that are also visible to the naked eye.
Lastly, many visiting Glenn Rio report feeling as if they are never truly alone. As if they can hear music voices and footsteps emanating from old structures, as if some similance of lifelong past is continuing just one reality over number three shanaco shanaco Oregon located in wasco county along u.s route 97 about eight miles north of antelope is an abandoned locality That in present times, actually boasts the moniker of being the liveliest ghost town in the state, as history has it, when the homestead act was passed in 1862 and word of the discovery of gold in canyon city began, making its rounds.
Thousands began flocking to the area. Among some of the first settlers was a man by the name of august Seneca who arrived in 1874. The town was initially called across hollow a post office established in 1872 with august its postmaster in 1897, the Columbia southern railway launched plans for a new line through the area, businessmen from the dalles and morrow jumped on the opportunity officially forming the town site of shanako. In 1899, shanako being the native pronunciation of august’s last name, the rail line was completed in 1900 and the population of shaniko quickly, boomed locals, found the area good for raising sheep and after a time it was dubbed the wool capital of the world.
Sadly, in 1910 and 1911 fires raged through town destroying much of what there was to date. In 1911, rail service directly from portland to bend was implemented and business in shanako rapidly declined. Rail service, 2 shanako was halted entirely by 1943. In the year 2000 businessman, Robert Pamplin jr purchased shanako hotel, along with what he could of the remainder of the town and some additional surrounding property. He planned to develop and transform the area, but following a water dispute, threw in the chips effectively placing the town of shanako up for sale, things were opened back up in 2016, though most buildings are very limited access, while shanaco is officially considered a ghost town.
There are still about 30 residents lingering in the area and as local legend has it a handful of ghosts. The shanako hotel was constructed in 1902 as the colombia’s southern hotel and has served time as a stage stop saloon dance hall and general gathering place. It is easily the most famous building in town and many claim its most haunted guests too. The shanako hotel have reported hearing disembodied footsteps throughout the night, catching doors to vacant rooms, opening and closing, and even sighting various objects floating through the air.
Those nearing the old jail have described the sounds of cell doors, slamming cold spots and the feeling of being brushed up against or even touched by. Someone unseen and the apparitions of several children have been sighted and heard around the old school house. Lastly, throughout the entirety of shanacom, many have encountered strange: floating lights in the skies phantom commotion from empty buildings, shadowy figures, and apparitions and clothing dating back to the 1800s.
Number 2 Cahaba. Cahaba in Dallas, county Alabama and located at the confluence of the Alabama and Cahaba Rivers are a present-day ghost town and archaeological site that, rather surprisingly, actually acted as the first permanent state capital to Alabama when it was still alive. That is, the area was initially selected to hold the state capital in 1818 and by 1819 the town’s lots had been laid ready to auction to the highest bidders by 1820. Cahaba had become a functioning state capital. Unfortunately, due to its lowland location at the rivers, it was quickly discovered that the town was prone to flooding, which in turn would usher in waves of deadly mosquitoes.
After just a few short years, many argued to move the state capital and in 1826 it was decided that Tuscaloosa would take its place, though it had lost its title. The town re-established itself in the cotton trade with most of its land, comprised of large plantations through the civil war. The confederate army seized the Cahaba, railroad, dismantling it for use elsewhere and crippling the town’s economy. Cahaba was also utilized for a time as a union pow camp and held roughly 3 000 soldiers following the emancipation proclamation in 1863 and another major flood in 1865, former slaveholders abandoned the town in a bit of karmatic justice.
The locality and its structures would go on to be inhabited for a time by the very people forced to work its land for so long. It served this purpose until around 1900, when people eventually moved on and it was left completely abandoned. Today the area is marked as the old Cahaba archeological park, though many of the town’s buildings were gone by around 1930. A handful do still remain.
The park also offers abandoned streets, lifeless, burying grounds, various fascinating ruins and, as local legend has it a slew of chilling hauntings reports of the otherworldly date back to the town’s earliest days when, after tragedy struck time and time again locals, begin reporting, orbs and instances of The deceased returning as restless spirits matching tales continue into present times with many visiting Cahaba, also reporting strange lights, cited from empty buildings, shadowy figures that lurk about high emf levels, chilling evps and objects cited moving on their own.
Lastly, groundskeepers and officials to the park often report hearing disembodied voices, while they work sometimes talking directly to them and most entering the area describe never feeling quite an alone number one calico California, located in the calico mountains in the Mojave in San Bernardino County is a Former mining community turned ghost town. that’s since been converted into a county park. It all started back in 1881, when four prospectors discovered silver veins through the mountains.
These prospectors opened the silver king, mine, and the town was established the very same year by 1882, a post office and newspaper had open before too long. Calico was booming and sported three hotels, five general stores, a meat market bars brothels, and three restaurants and boarding houses. There was also a school, a bank, a deputy sheriff and two constables at the height of silver production between 1883 and 1885 calico had over 500 mines and boasted a population of 1200 chillingly.
During the time local badminton was buried in boot, hills cemetery by 1890, the population had grown to over 3 500. The same year, the silver purchase act was put in place drastically reducing the value of silver by 1896, the Mayans were no longer economically viable and were eventually closed down. The post office was closed two years later in 1898 and the school. Shortly after that, when borax mining ended in 1907, the town was left completely abandoned. In 1951, Walter Knott of knottsbury farm purchased the town and began restoring it. In 1966 he donated the town to the county who opened it as a county regional park.
Today, the calico has been restored to look much as it did during the silver rush, and though some of its original buildings that were lost over time have been replaced by facades. Many of its structures date back to the town’s original years. Calico offers tours replica gun, fights, gold, panning restaurants, and, according to legend, its own long list of resident hauntings paranormal activity has been experienced throughout the entirety of the town and includes disembodied footsteps, voices from empty buildings, doors opening and closing on their own and objects cited Floating through the air in the schoolhouse apparitions of both teachers and students have been sighted and are often seen staring from the windows.
Pale hands pressed against the glass. A red ball of light has been sighted floating throughout the halls, and a spectral girl of roughly 11 or 12 years in age has been encountered wondering about and has been known to disappear when approached or addressed at hank’s hotel many reports, unnatural cold spots, phantom sounds, And smells and a ghostly host of apparitions, including one angry cowboy, that’s been known to pull women’s hair and has even pushed or hit several visitors also reported throughout calico and confined to no buildings in particular. Are lights flickering or flicking from on to off by themselves.
Phantom chills orbs caught in the backgrounds of photographs and the constant feeling of being watched or followed near the general store and adjacent house museum many reports, citing the spirit of one lucy lane. It’s said: lucy once ran the town store with her husband, John, and that the couple initially moved away when the town was declining but returned in 1916 to live out the rest of their lives. Visitors have cited lucy walking the stretch between what was once her home in the general store, clad in the black lace dress.
She was buried in lucy has also been sighted in her old rocking chair in the museum, as well as behind the counter of the general store, seemingly unaware that It’s no longer hers to care. For. By far the most famous ghost purported to roam the streets of calico, just might be. The apparition of a man by the name of tumbleweed harris legend tells that old tumbleweed, a large dude with a gruff face and a long white beard was the last martial of calico. And incidentally, it said his soul felt compelled to stay behind to watch over the place that he loved in life.
Several accounts have told of all other hauntings ceasing, while the marshal is present as if he’s still laying down the law from the other side. Lastly, a ghost named Esmerelda has been encountered in the theater. A spectral male dog named Dorsey has been cited in both the cemetery as well as in the print shop, and a mysterious female presence in a white dress has been spied on the outskirts of town, taking into consideration this creepy community’s ridiculously cool history and its long list of hauntings we felt calico was a pretty easy choice, as our pick for the most haunted ghost town in America.
Thank you, everyone for tuning in to five haunted American ghost towns. If you enjoyed hearing our histories and stories as much as we enjoyed telling them to, you, don’t forget to subscribe to our channel and turn notifications on. So you get an alert when fresh content is on the way, throw us a like if you feel, we’ve earned it, and, most importantly, share this video and our channel with anyone. You think, could use a good scare. We’ll see you all next time.