Latitude / Longitude:
34°34′38.8″N 110°22′42.6″W / 34.577444°N 110.378500°W / 34.577444
6,000 ft (1,828.8 m)
Mountain (NO DST) (UTC-7)
Zeniff, Arizona was a town in Navajo County, Arizona located approximately 15 miles SW of Holbrook, Arizona off SR 377, near “Dry Lake”. It was settled in 1911 by the Preston Bushman family with the goal of dry farming. Preston’s father, John Bushman, had previously helped settle Heber, Arizona, and Preston dreamed of staking a claim for himself.
Following the Bushman’s departure, other family’s began relocating as well. The Hewards sold to the Despains, and the Hunts sold to the Tenneys who in turn sold to the Despains. Eventually the Despains owned a majority of the land. In 1956, Southwest Forest Industries purchased all of the land to build a paper pulp mill with the intent of using the “Dry Lakes” for waste water storage. At this time the land became unlivable due to the offensive odor coming from the lakes. The paper mill ran until September 30, 2012, when it shut down permanently.
Today, three adobe buildings and a set of stone walls are all that remain of Zeniff.