Latitude / Longitude:
35° 15′ 9″ N, 98° 50′ 35″ W
Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Cloud Chief is a small unincorporated community in Washita County, Oklahoma, United States. Once the county seat of Washita County, it is now considered a ghost town. Only a few buildings remain, mostly in disrepair.
After the Cheyennes and Arapahos settled down on “their” reservation. What an empire this was – 4,297,711 acres and only slightly more that 3000 Indians, two-thirds Cheyennes and one-third Arapahos. In 1890, the government once again met with the Cheyennes and Arapahos. They persuaded each Indian to take an allotment of 160 acres each and release the balance of their tribal domain in consideration of which they were promised $1,500,000. The money was kept in the Treasury and placed on credit for the tribes, where it would draw five per cent interest. This interest was to be paid annually on a per capita basis. On the 19th of July 1891, the payment in hard cash began. Each Cheyenne and Arapaho Indian received seventy-five silver dollars. By October 1891, some 2835 members of these tribes had received $212,625. By March 1892, 3,329 allotments (160 acre farms) had been made, involving over 500,000 acres of land. This left a balance of 3,500,000 acres which were released for white settlements
The Cloud Chief public schools opened for the 1892-1893 school year. The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built a high school in 1938, which closed after the 1959-1960 school year. The high school was known as the Cloud Chief Warriors. The Cloud Chief post office closed on December 31, 1964. The town also lost its charter in 1964.
Cloud Chief was also previously home of two newspapers. It was home to the Cloud Chief Witness, as well as the Cloud Chief Beacon. The Cloud Chief Beacon moved and became the Cordell Beacon immediately after the August 17, 1900 issue was printed. After moving to Cordell, the newspaper continued publication from January 13, 1905 until February 17, 1919.