Latitude / Longitude:
4,478 ft (1,365 m)
Mountain (MST) (UTC-7)
Lucin (also known as Umbria Junction) is an abandoned railroad community in Box Elder County, Utah, United States, resettled by a single owner-resident, along the western side of the Great Salt Lake, 162 miles (261 km) northwest of Salt Lake City.
Lucin was founded in the late 19th century, about 10 miles (16 km) north of its current location, to provide a water stop for railroads to replenish their steam locomotives. The town was moved in 1903 to serve as a stop for the Lucin Cutoff. Historically, the town’s population consisted mainly of employees of the Central and Southern Pacific Railroads. In 1936 the town was abandoned, and then resettled by a group of retired railroad workers and their children. For a while, no one had lived in Lucin, until 1997 when Ivo Zdarsky, venturing aviation entrepreneur and manufacturer of the Ivoprop, a plane propeller, bought it and moved there. The area is managed for migrating songbirds and other wildlife by the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources. The town was named for a local fossil bivalve, the Lucina subanta.
Except for the intermittent (more permanent since 2008) presence of Ivo, town owner and avid solitary explorer, and his IVOPROP Corp research and development activities, Lucin is a ghost town. As of 2016, the most prominent town features are a recent airplane hangar doubling as a residence and a workshop, an adjacent unpaved landing strip, along with several smaller, separate utility buildings (water, fuel, telecommunications, power).
A description of what remains from the old town includes a pond fed by a pipe that brings water from the nearby Pilot Range, a group of trees in an otherwise barren desert, and various everyday items left by the former residents. There are no remaining buildings, but there are root cellars and two concrete phone booths. The original grading of the railroad can be found heading northeast toward Promontory, Utah and the Golden Spike National Historic Site. The Lucin area is a popular stop for rockhounds looking for an apple- green chert-like phosphate mineral Variscite, also known as Utahlite and Lucinite. Nearby is a large artwork called the Sun Tunnels, which was created by artist Nancy Holt in 1976.