Latitude / Longitude:
38°28′10″N 99°33′11″W / 38.46944°N 99.55306°W / 38.46944
2,077 ft (633 m)
Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Alexander is a city in Rush County, Kansas, United States. As of the 2010 census, the city was 65.
Alexander is the oldest city in Rush County, Kansas. It was established in 1869 after becoming an important stopping point on the Fort Hays/Fort Dodge Trail (officially a part of the Santa Fe Trail). The name of the town originated from Alexander Harvey a Scottish emigrant who operated a stockaded trading post on the trail crossing of the Wet Walnut Creek. Havey was a prominent and connected figure in western settlement. He was a friend of renown trapper, trader, and Indian Agent William Bent who established Bent’s Fort in Eastern Colorado. Harvy’s daughter Adaline at age 20 married the 60 year-old Bent.
Today, Alexander’s abandoned three story brick school building is a landmark on K-96 high way. The former Alexander State Bank Building has been re-built and is now the operations and maintenance building for NJR Clean Energy. The community still has the largest grain elevator in Rush County. The elevator is a farmer’s cooperative elevator owned by farmers. Grumbine’s Metal Scrap Yard is the other commercial entity in the community. In 2015, the “Alexander Wind Farm” was constructed south of Alexander. It cost about $85 Million and generates 48 Megawatt of power. The Alexander Wind Farm became commercially operable on January 1, 2016.
In its early days, Alexander was a trading post for trappers, buffalo hunters, wild horse wranglers, and other early Westerners. Buffalo Bill Cody, George Custer, and other prominent figures in American western settlement traveled through the community. Alexander Harvey himself was a former member of the 6th Cavalry. The first post office in Alexander was established in February 1874.