Latitude / Longitude:
39° 23′ 54.96″ N, 94° 57′ 55.8″ W
Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Fort de Cavagnial (also known as Fort Cavagnolle or Post of the Missouri or Fort de la Trinité) was a French fort on the west side of the Missouri River somewhere north of Kansas City, Kansas, and Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, from 1744 until about 1764.
The fort named for Louisiana Governor Marquis de Vaudreuil-Cavagnial, was the furthest west on the Missouri at the time. Its first commandant was François Coulon de Villiers who came from an illustrious New France military family (the slaughter of his brother Joseph Coulon de Jumonville while in the custody of George Washington was to ignite the French and Indian War and another brother Louis Coulon de Villiers was the only commander to whom Washington ever surrendered).
The fort was abandoned by France after the Louisiana Territory was ceded to Spain in the treaties concluding the French and Indian War.