Latitude / Longitude:
1,237 ft (377 m)
Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Randolph is a city in Riley County, Kansas, United States. It is the center of Jackson Township. Randolph was originally called Waterville, and under the latter name was laid out in 1856. It was renamed Randolph in honor Gardner Randolph, a pioneer settler.
Randolph was originally located a mile east of its present location. When the Tuttle Creek reservoir began filling up in 1962, it affected ten towns and entirely submerged four of them (from north to south): Cleburne at 39°31’49″N 96°38’6″W, Randolph, Garrison Cross and Stockdale. The only town to rebuild elsewhere was Randolph, where the streets are named after the submerged towns.
As of the 2010 census, the city population was 163.
The ruins of the original town are visible on the north side of Kansas Highway 16 as it crosses the lake. The downtown of the original settlement is above the waterline on an island in the marshes at the northern tip of the lake. The island is occasionally accessible by foot when Fancy Creek is low, but the channels of Fancy Creek and the Big Blue River shift frequently making access to the ruins unpredictable. This is locally known as “Old Randolph.”