Latitude / Longitude:
Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Bolton is an unincorporated community in the Maple Ridge Township approximately 12 miles (19 km) northwest of Alpena along the partially abandoned Detroit and Mackinac Railway at 45°10’53″N 83°35’23″W. It was named for Henry Bolton, who along with Donal McRae opened a general store in Alpena in 1866. From 1871, as Bolton & McRae, they operated one of the leading cedar lumbering firms in the area. A post office operated here from October 1880 until March 1955.