Latitude / Longitude:
44° 14′ 36″ N, 85° 5′ 13″ W
Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Falmouth is an unincorporated community in the northwest of the Clam Union township at 44°14’36″N 85°05’13″W It began as a lumbering settlement and was first known as “Pinhook”. A post office named Falmouth was established on December 18, 1871, with Eugene W. Watson as the first postmaster.
In 1873, Falmouth nearly became the seat, losing to Reeder (now Lake City) by one vote. John Koopman built a store in 1879, and in 1881 bought the village plat, along with its saw, shingle and grist mill. The Falmouth post office, with ZIP code 49632, also serves portions of northern and eastern Clam Union Township, as well as all of Holland Township to the east, and portions of Butterfield Township to the northeast, Aetna Township to the north, and smaller areas in Reeder Township to the northwest and Riverside Township to the west.