Latitude / Longitude:
30°38′01″N 88°39′30″W / 30.63361°N 88.65833°W / 30.63361
135 ft (41 m)
Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Brewton, Mississippi is a ghost town in Jackson County, Mississippi, United States. In the early 19th century, settlers were attracted to Brewer’s Bluff (Brewton) in Jackson County because of its high elevation, just west of the Pascagoula River. The name was derived from a Brewer family that obtained the property through a Spanish land grant.
In 1816, Brewer’s Bluff was selected as the county seat of Jackson County, with construction of a courthouse and jail around 1820. By 1826, Brewer’s Bluff had not met expectations because of its remote location, and the county seat was moved east of the Pascagoula River.
Early in the 20th century, the L.N. Dantzler Lumber Company acquired the property, and the houses and other buildings, that were part of Brewton, collapsed from disrepair. The name changed once again and the area became known as White’s Camp.
Over the years, Brewer’s Bluff passed through several owners and became known as Rice’s Bluff, where a turpentine still operated just before the American Civil War. In the late 19th century, Brewton prospered as a sawmill town, converting trees from the virgin pine forests into lumber. Besides the sawmill, Brewton had houses, a church, a school, a hotel, and a post office. Owners of the sawmill selected the name Klondike in hopes of improving their fortune, but the name did not stick. Ownership of the sawmill changed several times, but bad luck plagued the mill and it burned twice. Once the virgin timber was gone, residents of Brewton had no reason to stay.