Latitude / Longitude:
37° 22′ 43 N, 93° 32′ 45 W
Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Phenix is an unincorporated community in northwest Greene County, in the U.S. state of Missouri. The community is located on the banks of Sugar Creek about 2.5 miles south of Walnut Grove and 1.5 miles west of Harold and Missouri Route 123.
During the railroad boom of the late 1800s the Kansas City, Clinton, and Springfield Rail Co. forged their way through the wilderness between Ash Grove and Walnut Grove, their repeated dynamite blasting revealed deposits of high quality limestone in 1884. A post office called Phenix was established in 1886, and remained in operation until 1942.
In 1888, this discovery prompted Kansas City investor, C.R. Hunt, to establish a small limestone mining operation. For nearly two decades, Hunt ran the quarry as the Phenix Stone and Lime Company. By 1905, W.J. Grant, a marble finisher from Milwaukee recognized the high quality of Phenix limestone and purchased an interest into Hunts company.
The Phenix quarry reopened under the management of the Vermont Marble Co. yet failed to regain its previous position in the market. By the 1970s, Phenix was largely a ghost town, the quarry itself was purchased in 1988 by David Ricter, who largely used the land as a gravel hauling business.