Latitude / Longitude:
6,427 ft (1,959 m)
Mountain (MST) (UTC-7)
Aldridge is a ghost town in Park County, Montana. According to the book Ghost Towns of the Montana Prairie, the town was incorporated as Aldridge in 1906 but was earlier named Horr, and later Electric. Aldridge is a mining town that supplied coke and coal to the smelters for the Anaconda Copper Mining Company. Aldridge is located two miles north of the northern entrance to Yellowstone National Park.
Prior to 1904, an electric plant was built in Horr to supply the Montana Coal and Coke Company’s mines and businesses with electricity. In 1904, Horr was renamed Electric because of the power plant built on the town site. With no mines operating in Electric, its economy survived by transporting coke to the smelters from its railhead.
Today there is no active mining, but there is still an abundance of coal deposits in the area. Some of the buildings of Aldridge have been torn down or relocated, but the other buildings are in ruins.
In 1906, with popular community support, Aldridge absorbed Electric and incorporated. Local newspapers predicted that Aldridge would become one of the most important coal and coke mining camps in the country. Although Aldridge had a bright future, the Montana Coal and Coke Company defaulted in payments of bonds in 1910. The default led to a suit with the company and the bondholders. The bondholders won the suit and the Montana Coal and Coke Company was sentenced to pay over 100,000 dollars. This debt led to the closure of all the mining operations in Aldridge. With the closure of the mines, Aldridge became a ghost town.