Latitude / Longitude:
39°18′48″N 74°58′52″W / 39.31333°N 74.98111°W / 39.31333
13 ft (4 m)
Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Port Elizabeth is an unincorporated community located within Maurice River Township in Cumberland County, New Jersey, United States. The area is served as United States Postal Service ZIP code 08348. As of the 2000 United States Census, the population for ZIP Code Tabulation Area 08348 was 455. Route 47 and Route 55 intersect in Port Elizabeth.
Port Elizabeth United Methodist Church, built in 1827 to replace Cumberland County’s first Methodist Church which was completed in 1786. John Boggs Hall, built in 1854 as the Port Elizabeth School, was moved to its present location in 1958 where it is used as the Sunday School and fellowship hall of Port Elizabeth United Methodist Church. Port Elizabeth Library, built in 1810 as a general store, was known as Lee Hall for some time until 1962 when it was the fellowship hall of Port Elizabeth Methodist Church.
Eagle Glass Works Hotel, built around 1807 to house the Eagle Glass Works. St. Elizabeth of Hungary Roman Catholic Church, built in 1810 for the Eagle Glass Works workers, was moved to Goshen, NJ in 1878.
Port Elizabeth, named for Elizabeth Clark Bodly, a Quaker and owner of lands on which Port Elizabeth lays, was laid out in 1785. In 1778, a dam was built on the Manumuskin River, drying out valuable lands for farmers, who flocked in. Further down the river wharves were built, giving Port Elizabeth the Port part of the name. By the early days of the American Revolution the community was occupied by British troops. The bluffs provided safe haven for the troops, and an unobstructed lookout toward New Brunswick, enabling clear views of approaching Patriot forces.