Latitude / Longitude:
48°17′47″N 103°15′09″W / 48.29639°N 103.25250°W / 48.29639
Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Wheelock is a ghost town in Wheelock Township, Williams County, in the northwestern part of the U.S. state of North Dakota.
Wheelock was founded in 1902 along the transcontinental rail line of the Great Northern Railway. The name comes from Ralph W. Wheelock, an editorial writer with the Minneapolis Tribune who wrote favorably about the site.
In 1938, the Federal Writers’ Project found a population of 115 in Wheelock. In the 1990 census, the population was 23. The town was disincorporated in 1994, and now is reverting to the elements.
Unlike some ghost towns, Wheelock’s homes, churches, and commercial buildings have the look of just recently being occupied. The paint is peeling, but it is still there. The grass is green, although it is not mowed. The roof of the two-story brick schoolhouse has caved in, carrying with it the back wall and exposing the four classrooms and the gymnasium roof girder. The town garage stands empty. A handful of commercial buildings and the church appear almost as if they could be occupied—but are unoccupied and deteriorating. The railroad track, now owned by BNSF Railway, still runs through town. Wheelock remains the location of a passing siding. The grain elevator stands empty by the tracks. The general store burned down in 2005.