Latitude / Longitude:
40°37′49″N 82°23′08″W / 40.63028°N 82.38556°W / 40.63028
Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Newville was founded by John Frederick Herring, and was platted in December 1823. It is situated upon section three, Worthington Township. Abraham Nye was one of the first settlers there, and was instrumental in inducing Mr. Herring to lay out the town. Newville lies in a small valley at the confluence of Slater’s Run with the Clearfork of the Mohican River, nearly surrounded by tree-covered hills.
In the 1940s, the U.S. Corps of Engineers built a dam on the Mohican river, that would under some circumstances, cause the town to be flooded, and it was ordered abandoned. Some of the foundations and buildings are still standing in the forest just west of the lake.
Newville is a now defunct town located near what is now Pleasant Hill Lake, in northeastern Worthington Township, Richland County, Ohio, United States.
The first settlers in Newville and vicinity were John Frederick Herring, Abraham Nye, Michael Hogan, Daniel Carpenter, George Armentrout and Luther Richard. Abraham Nye was the first tavern keeper, Daniel Stoner the first blacksmith and Michael Hogan the first merchant. Newville was named after Newville, Pennsylvania, the native place of the founder of the town.