Latitude / Longitude:
36°41′57″N 98°47′24″W / 36.69917°N 98.79000°W / 36.69917
1,476 ft (450 m)
Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Avard was a town in Woods County, Oklahoma, United States. The population was 26 at the 2000 census and is sometimes considered a ghost town. After initial growth Avard began declining in the 1930s. Avard had a post office from June 1, 1895, until November 22, 1963. As of the 2010 census, Avard was listed as disincorporated.
The post office was first established in Avard in 1895 and the town was incorporated in 1904 when the Frisco tracks were extended westward from Enid to tie in with the Santa Fe. The town was named for Isabell Avard Todd, the wife of Robert Todd. The town was served by the Southern Arkansas Railway (Santa Fe) and Arkansas Valley and Western Railroad (Frisco). Avard had mercantile establishments, two hotels, a bank, a livestock auction, and an elevator. A weekly newspaper, the Avard Tribune operated from 1904 to 1918. It was a major cattle shipping point for the area. 250 people lived in the town in 1909. It was an important rail transfer point for freight and passengers from 1910 to 1930.
Today only a cafe, elevator and church are left in operation. There are also a few unused store buildings.
Avard continued to grow until the mid-1930s. During this period the town declined due to the economic depression, dust storms, farm consolidation, and changing travel habits. Additionally the town was struck by tornadoes in 1943 and 1944.