Latitude / Longitude:
35°0′50″N 96°55′50″W / 35.01389°N 96.93056°W / 35.01389 -96.93056
Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Avoca was a small town in Avoca Township, located in southeastern Pottawatomie County, Oklahoma Territory. The post office was established in 1894 and closed permanently in 1906.
Avoca should not be confused with Avoca Township, which covered a much larger area than the town itself. This section of the article will cover the entire township, with the remainder the town itself. Avoca township was located in southeastern Pottawatomie County, with Konawa Municipal Township (and the Seminole County line) to the east, St. Louis Township to the north and the South Canadian River to the south. The western boundary was about two and a half miles west of present-day Asher. The township encompassed about 75 square miles.
In 1901, “Old Beck,” a rail spur from Shawnee, was extended to the fledgling community of Asher, Oklahoma, a few miles south. This event spelled the demise of Avoca. In the winter of that year, the postmaster, George A. McCurry, moved the Avoca post office and his store to the new community. The change officially took place on November 26, 1901. This was done without permission from the government and left Avoca without a post office. The post office was re-established on February 10, 1902. However, many persons and businesses moved to the growing Asher community. An Asher paper reported “Avoca About Abandoned” on August 21, 1903 and the post office was discontinued again on October 31, 1906. The upstart of Asher is often blamed for the demise of Avoca. Currently in the Avoca area is the Avoca Church of Christ, a cemetery, and a few homes.
The village was established in the mid-19th century as Wewaukee Springs (Wewaukee is Seminole for “tumbling water”). It was located along the “Wagon Road” that traveled east to west across the territory. Early residents of the town included Seminole Indians as well as white persons. By 1910, most Seminoles had left the area Pottawatomi Indians populated the town.