Latitude / Longitude:
Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Chahta Tamaha (Choctaw Town) was an important town in the Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory that served as the Choctaw capital from 1863 to 1883. The town grew up around the Armstrong Academy. The townsite is located in present-day Bryan County, Oklahoma. Today nothing is left of the town or the Academy. However, the Armstrong Academy Site is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Armstrong Academy was founded as a school for Choctaw boys in 1844. It was named after William Armstrong, a popular agent of the Choctaws. The site was selected because there was a good fresh water spring with enough current to run a gristmill. A large wood supply was available. The first classroom buildings and dormitories were built of logs from the area. In the late 1850s a brick building replaced the log building. A two-story brick addition was added later. A trading post, blacksmith and church were established early on. As a school the average attendance was about 65 students though in 1859 it had about 100 students.
The Armstrong Academy was destroyed by fire in February 1921. The Federal government refused to rebuild it, and today the area has reverted to its original state as a deserted pasture. Nothing remains of the town but rubble from the Armstrong Academy.
Chahta Tamaha remained the capital of the Choctaw Nation until 1883, when the capital was relocated to Tuskahoma. In that same year the Armstrong Academy again became a school. Admission was limited to orphaned boys.