Latitude / Longitude:
36°9′36″N 96°42′40″W / 36.16000°N 96.71111°W / 36.16000
938 ft (286 m)
Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Quay is an unincorporated community located on the boundary line between Pawnee and Payne counties in the U.S. state of Oklahoma.
This community was originally named Lawson, for the townsite owner, Stonewall J. Lawson. A post office was established here January 17, 1894. The post office was renamed Quay in honor of Pennsylvania Senator Matthew Quay on February 24, 1903. Initially, Quay was an agricultural center. The discovery of oil nearby caused the population to mushroom from about one hundred to about four thousand during the early 1920s. Oil production dried up and the town population declined to 186 at the 1930 census.[a] The post office closed in 1957 and the school closed in 1965.
The population was 47 at the 2000 census, when it was still a town; the community disincorporated on August 23, 2000. No population was recorded in the census of 2010.