East Sioux Falls
Latitude / Longitude:
43° 31′ 39″ N, 96° 39′ 7″ W
Central (CST) (UTC-6)
East Sioux Falls was a city located in southeastern Minnehaha County, South Dakota located about 6 miles east of Sioux Falls along South Dakota Highway 42 on the Big Sioux River.
During the 1880s, the quarrying of a distinctive pink stone known as jasper or quartzite had developed into a successful business in Sioux Falls. In 1887, the Sioux Falls Granite Company opened four quarries six miles due east of downtown Sioux Falls in Split Rock Township. This area had an abundance of quartzite along the bluffs overlooking the Big Sioux River and exposure to the Earth’s surface ensured that the stone could be easily mined. Hundreds of workers and their families settled in a nearby community known at the time as Ives.
Numerous structures were built in East Sioux Falls including worker’s cottages, post office, town hall, depot, school house, general store, hotel, grain elevator, stable, saloons and jail. The remains of several buildings are still visible within the nature area.
The city felt the impact of a slowing economy in 1891 and economic problems mounted with the depression of 1893. The tough economic times of the 1890s pushed the Sioux Falls Granite Company into bankruptcy and the property was acquired by George H. Perry who operated the East Sioux Falls Quarry Company for a time. By the turn of the century, concrete had taken the place of stone as a building material. These events contributed to the out migration of residents from East Sioux Falls and forced the city to give up its charter in 1913. People continued to reside in the community until the last few structures were demolished in the late 1980s.