Latitude / Longitude:
30° 58′ 44″ N, 99° 28′ 8″ W
Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Calf Creek is a small community located in southern McCulloch County, Texas on Farm Road 1311 approximately 15 miles (24 km) southwest of Brady.
Calf Creek has had three different names and been at three different locations. The first site was approximately two miles south of the present location and named Deland in honor of the original settler, Edward Elijah Deland. Deland was a farmer and also an inventor, being awarded a patent for an improved shepherd’s crook in 1883. His daughter Minnie was the community’s first school teacher and taught in a one room schoolhouse which was a quarter mile north of the creek in the Deland pasture. Edward’s son, Ira Deland, was the first mail carrier. The Deland Post Office operated from 1906 to 1909.
From about 1970 through 2004 the historic schoolhouse was increasingly vandalized and frequently used by vagrants and transients. During this period some people with strong ties to Calf Creek still hoped to bring new life to the schoolhouse, possibly repairing it for use as a community center, however, the schoolhouse was demolished in late 2004 and early 2005. An interesting side note is that, (according to the terms of the original land deed), the school property reverts to the Huey family now that the schoolhouse is gone.
Contrary to popular belief repeated in various other histories of Calf Creek, the land for the Calf Creek schoolhouse and cemetery were not donated by the Alexander family, but rather by the Huey family in 1902. The total amount of land donated by the Huey’s was 6 acres (24,000 m2). It seems that slightly over 2 acres (8,100 m2) of this land was dedicated to cemetery use sometime between 1902 and 1903 and the remainder of the land tract used for school grounds. It is very likely that a wood frame school building was used on this site between 1903 and 1921. The new school was built in 1921 from an $8000 bond project. The Calf Creek school was consolidated with Brady Texas Independent School District in 1949. The school building continued to be used as a church and for other community purposes for many years after the Calf Creek School was discontinued.