Latitude / Longitude:
29° 1′ 10″ N, 99° 18′ 10″ W
Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Frio Town, known as Frio City before 1886, is a ghost town immediately south of the Presido Crossing on the Frio River in Frio County, Texas, United States.
Located sixteen miles northwest of Pearsall, the town was laid out by A.L. Oden in 1871. The river crossing it lay near was named for the fact that numerous cannonballs, swords and sabers were found there. Juan De Ugalde in the 18th century, Antonio López de Santa Anna in 1836 and Adrián Woll in 1842 were all thought to have used the Presido Crossing.
By 1953 the townsite was mostly abandoned and a Mrs. A.C. Roberts owned most of the structures including the courthouse and roofless jail. The town’s population remained steady at 20 throughout the 1960s and even jumped to 49 in 1969. By 1990, all that remained of the once bustling Frio City was the Frio Town Cemetery and the largely intact ruins of the original courthouse and jail on the private Roberts Ranch. The ruins of the courthouse are considered a historic courthouse by the Texas Historical Commission.
With the establishment of the town of Pearsall along the rail route people began to leave Frio City. By 1883 Pearsall had become the county seat and in 1886 Frio City changed its name to Frio Town. W. Yancey Kilgore purchased the Frio Town courthouse in 1884, it later housed a general store, the post office and in 1884 the Frio Academy. By 1890 the population had fallen to 100 and in 1906 17 pupils attended the two teacher Frio Academy. The town slowly dwindled into obscurity even with the addition of telephone connections in 1914. During that year Frio Town housed a general store and six cattle breeders. In 1929 the town contained a school and five homes. In June 1930 the Rio Grande Baptist Association celebrated their 50th anniversary at the site of the old courthouse.