Latitude / Longitude:
1,286 ft (392 m)
Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Hedwigs Hill, Texas is an unincorporated farming and ranching community, established in 1853 just off U.S. Highway 87, located 5 miles (8.0 km) south of Art in southern Mason County, Texas.
Hedwigs Hill was settled by German settlers Christopher Voges and Louis (Ludwig) Martin, who emigrated to Texas with the Adelsverein groups. Voges arrived at Galveston on January 2, 1846, on the Gesina originally destined to settle in Comal County. Martin disembarked at Galveston on November 23, 1844, from the Johann Detthard, and was with the first settlers of Fredericksburg. In 1853 the Martin family moved 10 miles (16 km) south of what is now Mason, on the banks of the Llano River. The settlement became known as Hedwigs Hill, thought to be named for Martin’s mother and daughter, both of whom shared the name Hedwig. John Kline was another early settler, who is thought to have built the dogtrot house later occupied by Louis Martin. In 1971, Martin’s home was moved to the National Ranching Heritage Center.
The Hedwig population began a decline in the early 1900s, dwindling to a population of ten in the 1950s, where it remained in 2000.
Louis Martin was the first postmaster of Hedwigs Hill in 1858, succeeded by D.B. Anderson in 1861. His nephew Charles Karl Martin became postmaster on August 21, 1861, after Texas had joined the Confederate States of America. Charles was re-appointed postmaster by the Union on April 10, 1866 to service the San Antonio-El Paso Mail. Conrad Gustavus became postmaster on November 23, 1866. The post office was discontinued March 17, 1868. Charles was again appointed postmaster to a re-established post office on May 18, 1874, a position he held until his 1879 death. His widow Anna Mebus Martin took over the postmaster position on December 9, 1879. John Keller became postmaster on June 14, 1899, and held the position until the post office was discontinued on April 15, 1907. Thereafter, the mail was directed to Mason.