Latitude / Longitude:
1,522 ft (464 m)
Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Loyal Valley is an unincorporated farming and ranching community, established in 1858, and is 6 miles (9.7 km) north of Cherry Spring in the southeastern corner of Mason County, in the U.S. state of Texas. The community is located near Cold Spring Creek, which runs east for 7.5 miles (12.1 km) to its mouth on Marschall Creek in Llano County, just west of Loyal Valley. The community is located on the old Pinta Trail.
Loyal Valley was settled in 1858 by German immigrants from Fredericksburg, including Henry and Christian Keyser, John Kidd, and a Mr. Gertsdorff. It was also a stagecoach stop on the route between San Antonio and the western forts. The community received a post office in 1868, and Solomon Wright was the first postmaster.
Current population is 50.
John O. Meusebach moved to Loyal Valley after the New Braunfels tornado of September 12, 1869 destroyed his home there. According to Meusebach’s granddaughter Irene Marschall King, he named the area for his personal loyalty to the Union that he had maintained during the American Civil War. He operated a general store and stage stop. Meusebach was appointed justice of the peace, notary public and served as the community’s second postmaster in 1873. His daughter Lucy Meusebach Marschall was postmaster in January 1887, and his wife Agnes became postmaster in August 1887.