Latitude / Longitude:
614 ft (187 m)
Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Lytton Springs is an unincorporated community in northeastern Caldwell County, Texas, United States. According to the Handbook of Texas, the community had a population of 500 in 2000. It is located within the Greater Austin metropolitan area.
The community was originally called Albade in the 1850’s when it first began to be settled. It’s post office was called Albade and was established in 1859. It was viewed as somewhat scattered. The nearby Lytton Springs caused the community to be called this in the early 1860’s, and was officially changed to that name in 1888. There was a cotton gin that was powered by steam, a Baptist church, and a general store in the mid-1880’s. Most of the community’s early settlers raised livestock. Ranching gave way to cotton in the 1900’s, but it was revived in 1930 as an important economic value. Oil was discovered in the community in 1925, but there were only a few wells producing it in the 1940’s. The post office closed in 1958, and mail was sent to the community from Dale. In the 1989 county highway map, there were three churches, two cemeteries, and only one business in Lytton Springs. The community had 125 inhabitants in the mid-1880’s. It then grew to 300 by the 1890’s.
There were 131 people living in the community in 1900, and grew to 200 by the 1920’s. It fell to 116 by the 1960’s. It then had 76 inhabitants in the early 1970’s, and stayed at that number through 1990. The population then grew dramatically to 500 in 2000.